Knee Arthritis Panchakarma Treatment in Delhi || If you’re suffering from knee pain, it could be because of Knee Arthritis (osteoarthritis). It is a common condition, especially among older adults and women. Knee arthritis may affect the entire joint, nearby muscles, underlying bone, ligaments, joint lining, and the joint cover. Over time, the joint may lose its normal shape & it is known to cause pain and damage.
In Ayurveda, Knee Arthritis is described as Sandhigatavata, in which the vitiated Vata afflicts the joints and may lead to swelling which results in painful movement. Vata is the governing factor in the maintenance of balance in the body. As age advances, the influence of Vata Dosha progresses, resulting in the process of gradual degeneration of the body. Sandhigatavata (osteoarthritis) is one of the consequences of this process, which is common in elderly people. This is one of the major causes of chronic disability, affecting the quality of life.
Some common symptoms of Knee Arthritis are:
- Loss of flexibility
- Grating sensation
These symptoms can get severe affecting the ability to even stand or walk if the pain aggravates. Home remedies like ice cube compress application, hot and cold packs, peppermint oil application, mustard oil massage, etc. are NOT RECOMMENDED by Ayurveda. It is crucial to get in touch with a qualified Ayurveda practitioner to have the condition evaluated and treated in time.
Dr. Monga’s Ayurveda approach for Knee Arthritis Treatment
As per the involved Dosha, progression of the disease and after detailed clinical examination, different treatments are advised by Experienced Ayurvedic Consultant Dr. Yuvraj Arora Monga at Dr. Monga Ayurvedic Mediclinic and Panchakarma center, Delhi . Ayurvedic treatment of Osteoarthritis prevents further deterioration in the joints and rejuvenates damaged cartilages. Vata-alleviating treatments through specific herbs and panchakarma therapies are suggested for lubrication and strengthening of joints.
Panchkarma is very important in the management of osteoarthritis. A number of procedures are planned as per the chronicity and grade of osteoarthritis. Duration of treatment may vary from 2 weeks to 4 weeks. In grade 4 the treatment is repeated every year 3 to 4 times
Abhyanga – It includes full body massage or local massage over the affected joints with medicated oils. Abhyanga improves circulation, pacifies Vata thus reducing the pain and strengthens the muscles and joints.
1. Janu Basti – It is the procedure in which specific medicated lukewarm oil is made to stay over the affected joint, inside a circle made with Masha pisti for 30 to 40 minutes. Janu Basti restores the lubricating fluid in the joint and maintains the integrity of the structures involved in the joint, Protects knee joints from age-related changes, increases blood circulation; thus strengthens and nourishes the knee joints, and improves the mobility of the knee joints.
2. Janu Dhara – It is preferred in conditions where there is tenderness and swelling.
3. Lepa – Application of medicated paste over the joint and wrapped with a bandage. The paste is retained for 3 to 6 hours depending on the season and condition of the patient. It reduces joint stiffness, pain, tenderness and relaxes the muscle around the joint.
4. Nadi Sweda – It is nothing but fomentation by Nadi Sweda The effect of sveda is similar to that of lepa.
5. Patra pinda Sweda – First the medicated oil is smeared on the affected joint, then the therapist massages the affected joints by moving his palm in a circular fashion. Heat is applied to the joint by using heated herbal packs. Patra Pinda Sweda is a form of sweat therapy used to provide relief from pain and rejuvenate and strengthen the soft tissues, joints, and muscles in the body.
6. Shastika Shali pinda sweda -.Helps in preventing the degeneration of joint tissues and wasting of muscles provides lightness in the joints, soft tissues, and muscles by inducing sweat. Enhances flexibility and movement of joints
7. Basti – Basti has a commendable role in the management of osteoarthritis. It includes Ksheera Basti and savasana basti. In ksheera Basti, milk is the main ingredient and oil in savasana Basti along with other medicines. These nutrients are absorbed through the gut wall and nourish the degenerated joints.
8. Agnikarma– Medical Cauterization is done to manage pain.
9. Leech therapy– In cases where there is pitta aggravation in joints, we need to use Leech therapy.
Different Panchakarma treatments are planned as per the condition/grade/stage/symptoms of patients. Remember Ayurveda is a self-healing process and therefore, you need to be self-vigilant and regular to make a complete effort worthwhile. Knee Arthritis Panchakarma Treatment in Delhi